WHITE PONGAL (வெண் பொங்கல்)
Raw rice -1/2 kg
Water - as needed
1. You need 1/2 kg raw rice and a pongal pot of medium size which can hold approximately up to 3/4 th of a kg.
2. The quantity of water required to be precise would be the quantity which would fill your pongal pot up to its rim.
3.Now pour 1/3 rd of the water to the rice and wash with your hands so as to retain as much of the rice flavor and colour as possible. Repeat this 2 more times with the remaining water in equal measures and keep aside the set flavoured water (பால்). Filter this and keep aside.
4. Pour this water in to the decorated pongal pot and place it on the medium flame.
5. Once the rice flavoured water fizzes out (this is when we all say pongalo pongal), reduce the flame and remove 3/5th of the water and same may discarded or used to bathe children.
6. Now add the washed rice that is kept soaked in water to the pongal pot with the remaining "பால்" and cook it until required.
6. It is advisable to stir occasionally as required.