SWEET PONGAL (சர்க்கரை பொங்கல் )
Serves : 5
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Too much sugar generally does not taste good. For sweet tooth people and children, we have sweet pongal on pongal day. This delicacy will be prepared on the second day of the pongal festival. This dish is very rich in Iron, Carbohydrates, essential Vitamins and minerals above all its sweet. Both children and elders will enjoy it happily. The best part of this dish is it will not trigger blood sugar level considerably like the white sugar. Pongalo - pongal.
- Raw rice - 1/2 cup
- Peeled broken green gram - 1/4 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Jaggery - 1/2 cup (grated)
- Cashew nuts - 20 nos
- Raisins - 15 nos
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Heat a pan. Dry roast the peeled broken green gram till it reaches light brown color and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the rice and green gram together for 1/2 an hour.
- Pressure cook them in one cup of water and a half cup of milk for 15 minutes,or until 3 - 4 whistles.
- In a pan heat a tbsp of ghee and fry cashews and raisins separately and keep aside.
- Then add jaggery to the cooked pongal and stir well until it completely melts.
- Now add the remaining ghee, cardamom powder, fried cashews and raisins to it.
- Mix well and serve hot.
- Most of the time the jaggery we buy will have dust in it. In that case grate it and add little water and keep it in low flame. Switch off once it completely melts and filter it. Now add this syrup to the pongal.
- You can adjust the quantity of jaggery as per your taste.